Winter in the midwest is brutal – I mean, we do live in Indiana! With the impending extreme cold weather we are expecting, now is a great time to make sure you are ready and prepared for negative temperatures and ensure your family is safe this season.
- Make sure your furnace is running efficiently and has been serviced for the winter season. I recently had my HVAC serviced with this local company!
- If you have a fireplace and plan on using it, make sure your chimney is clear and clean from soot and even small animals.
- Double check your carbon monoxide detectors to ensure they are properly working and monitoring your home.
- Protect your pipes and make sure any exposed pipe is insulated so they don’t freeze.
- Check your battery and make sure you have jumper cables in your car.
- Double check the coolant to prevent your car from overheating.
- Fill up your gas tank!
- Make sure you have the proper winter tools including an ice scraper, brush and even a spare blanket.
- BRING ALL PETS INSIDE!!
- Limit the time they are outside when taking bathroom breaks.
- Clean their paws when they come inside to protect them from the salt and de-icers that are used to melt snow and ice.
- If you have to go outside, wear layers such as a shirt, sweatshirt and a coat over that.
- Cover any exposed skin – including your face!
- Limit your time outside and monitor skin for frostbite.
Use this checklist to make sure your family is prepared for extreme weather this winter!