Normally my youngest is a huge banana monster, he literally could eat them until he gets sick. But recently, he decided he loathes bananas. As the 6lbs of banana I got at Costco started to brown on my countertop, I started experimenting with ways I could use them up. Frozen Banana Chocolate Bars and banana bread are always a huge hit, but I was in the mood to try something new. Enter the Oatmeal Banana Chocolate Chip cookies. It was the perfect recipe to use up those bananas!
Ingredients You Will Need:
- 1 3/4 c all purpose flour
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1/2 tsp salt (I used salted butter so I left out this added salt)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 c butter, room temp
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1 1/2 c old fashioned oats
- 1 c chocolate chips
Steps to Bake Your Cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine flour, corn starch, salt*, baking soda, baking powder in a large bowl. Stir to combine.
- In another large bowl, beat butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar with an electric mixer. Once that mixture is light and fluffy, add in egg and vanilla and mix until combined. Stir in mashed banana.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and beat with mixer until everything is evenly combined.
- Stir in oats. Then stir in the chocolate chips.
- Put the mixture in the fridge to rest for 30 minutes! This helps bind the butter back together, creating thicker, fluffy cookies. Trust me, I skipped this step the first time and my cookies were flat and sad looking.
- Line baking tray with parchment paper and scoop dough (about 1-2 tbsp depending on how big of a cookie you prefer!) onto tray.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer to cooling racks and voila! Yummy cookies!
These Oatmeal Banana Chocolate Chip cookies were a hit with the family and will quickly become a weekly treat in our house, I’m sure off it!
Share with us! What are some of your favorite recipes to use up those old bananas?